Saturday, March 13, 2010

Favor only fools?

In my childhood, I had a strange experience. My Maths teacher conducted an examination and I scored 27 out of 30 in the test. When I was verifying my corrected answer sheet, I noticed I got only 2 out of 5 marks for a sum. While computing the answer I did everything right but in the end I made mistake like 16/2 = 9 (instead of 8). So I went to my teacher and requested him to reconsider as I was wrong only in the last step and everything else was correct. He carefully looked at the whole steps and agreed to add 2 more marks. But he made a statement "Why are you bothered so much about these 2 marks? you already got 27 out of 30 which is the first mark any way". I remember this statement even today to understand the kind of live we are living. The message I got is that, unless you are in very miserable state, you dont have right to claim even if you deserve something. In many stages of life, you see many persons coming up before you through the lift, you struggled to reach the same place through stairs.
  • A famous Indian counterpart of MNC used a logic to retrench good people because the other non-performing people (who are spared) cant survive if they are retrenched.
  • In some backward states of India I feel secured in the train if I didnt buy ticket as they are the people who have preference. So being in inferior status always help the people?
  • Naxalites who after killing many people, surrender and get special support from Government in the form of alloted land, special allowances and tickets to contest in the elections. Where as people like me never killed any one and do I get a 6 feet land atleast to bury me?
  • In the Entrance Exams like Engineering and Medical, I heard better rank is given to the aged people when the scores are tied
  • In some public sector comparny, I heard that a person who dropped from promotion in the last year is preferred over a meritorious person freshly due for promotion in that year

Everywhere the logic is that there is a party in sorry state and they need favor.

Is it a correct patter or do we need to recheck?

2 comments:

srimadhu said...

Yes Raja,

I agree to the state of affairs and would like to add an experience. My son was in primary. He was good in his studies and response. Suddenly, I observed he is taking time to give correct answer, faltering initially and giving correct answer after a little encouragement. This being not his natural self I probed a little and found out that his class teacher concentrates more on students who cannot tell the answers and has more appreciation reserved for such pupils. So in order to gain appreciation and attention even the normally well answering students started to mimic the faltering. I tried to explain w the teacher the psychological effect her behavior has on the merit students but was not very much successful

Raja Ivaturi said...

Hi Srimadhu
thanks for the comments. the world is running this way.
but glad to see that there are some who acknowledged the pattern

regards