Sunday, November 8, 2009

What is our Social Responsibility?

My daughter needed help from me for reading news in her school. She came with news items and asked my opinion on how to read. While giving the guidance like how to start and how to give relevant expression in subtle manner as per the context of new item, I also wanted to give my opinion on the kind of news she can share.
Should we speak about Yedyurappa's political instability and the unfortunate killing of US Soldiers?
I didnt know what are the norms set by her school for such events, but guess the news must cover the categories like political, technical and sports etc.
I still wanted to be a bit eccentric as many people know.
I asked her to downplay the news item (as given in NDTV) of Yedyurappa who stated that he was forced to ditch some loyalists in the process of establishing stability in Government. I asked her to read it somewhat like the Crisis in Karnataka ends as Chief Minister made an assuring statement. In similar way, I asked her to read the news in AP in the lines like Congress is now united and want to work for win in Greater Hyderabad.
Than, in the sports section I asked her to highlight the success of Viswanathan Anand and Sachin emphasizing that Sky is the limit for performance.
I also asked her to mention Mistry's innovative Product Sixth Sense under technology. In addition, I asked her to include the miracle baby survived with heart outside body.
The reason why I wanted to spend more time is to ensure the discussions will be more healthy. There will be lot of hurting incidents that keep happening. While there are many reasons for that, one of the major cause in my opinion is the broughtup and lack of healthy thinking.
If you have two pieces of information like "innovation like Sixth Sense" and a hurting incident, I prefer to share the first one and ignore the second. I feel the media also must do the same. As long as they give more space of headlines for bad events, these events keep happening. Whereas many good and motivating events are not attracting the attention of us.
I want my kids and her friends to have the healthy habit of discussing good topics and improve hopes on change towards optimism.
Not sure how many of you agree.

2 comments:

Surya said...

Hey i completely agree with you... reminds me of the noted editor of Hindustan times 's Vir Sangvis interview in ndtv last week where he was talking about how advertising companies/ politicians rule the news pages of our country more than any other country. and howa lot of news get filtered and manipulated.
very interesting write up rajabawa.... wonder how deepti's dayout with the news go???

Raja Ivaturi said...

Thanks for the comments.
Deepti's session went well and she received good comments from the teachers. But I need to get the complete feedback on where they felt good about this event.