Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Change for betterment?

Today I got an SMS from Loksatta the group in which I joined a few weeks ago, that the team is distributing clothes to the flood victims and requested all of us to cooperate. I spoke to someone and got the details of place where I can handover the clothes. I gathered the old clothes from my house and collected some from others in the colony. While going to the office of Loksatta, I was having my own doubts as this is a community which has support only from a few so called intellectuals.But when I went it was not that bad. I was not alone and there was heavy rush of people from many places and different professionals. I met one medical shop employee, a building architect and a plumber among many people who were all volunteering to help me in taking out the packs from my car boot. None of them belonged to the party but they were all helping. Someone asked if I can pay some donation as well. As I was not prepared for it, I said I will send the check and asked for the address. But he was kind enough to offer that he would come and collect from me. Again he is not Party member and is someone like me, who is hoping for a change and trusting loksatta as the change agent. there were just 2,3 staff who probably belonged to the office while all others from several places are enthusiastic to contribute for a good cause. I remembered the days when I worked for RSS and did similar work for flood victims in the 80's. RSS members were quite energetic, honest and effcient to reach the victims first while all others including the Government took more time. We in fact went with Roti's collected by almost everyone in the quarters and took them to the flood victims at our own cost. RSS never used the donations given by the people for their own travel nor food. Instead we all spent our own for managing our needs. Our leader told that the money given was for the victims and each paisa must be spent only for them.Those days we were all children of parents earning hand to mouth with little savings and all we had was willingness to contribute but without finances.Today I am seeing similar efforts but this time it is from more capable people with more financial strength and energy. Why cant I think it is a sign of change towards improvement for the country. I dont belong to Loksatta Party but I believe in some of their approaches. Who knows? This institution which I dont want to call as a political party, may be the agent to implement the real change the country wanted.

2 comments:

Prasad said...

Very impressed ... not because of what you did, but, the time you took from your busy schedule to write this!! It will inspire many a reader!!

Raja Ivaturi said...

Hi Prasad,
Didnot know how to see the comments for my posts so missed your comment.
I am delighed about the comment and feel more motivated.
love,
Raja